Calvary’s Missions Team is working with UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief) to help provide Health Kits to the refugees of the Haitian earthquake. The Health Kits are put together in a sealed one-gallon plastic bag and consist of the following new items:
- •1 hand towel (15” x 25” up to 17” x 27”. No kitchen towels.
- •1 washcloth
- •1 comb (large and sturdy, not pocket-sized)
- •1 nail file or fingernail clippers (no emery boards or toenail clippers)
- •1 bath-size bar of soap (3 oz. and up)
- •1 toothbrush (single brushes only in original wrapper, no child-size brushes)
- •6 adhesive plastic strip sterile bandages
- •$1.00 to purchase toothpaste
(NOTE: Toothpaste is purchased in bulk to be added to health kits to ensure that the product does not expire before they are sent.)
For people who are feeling powerless in being able to help those in Haiti, providing health kits is a tangible way they can make an immediate difference,” said Kathy Kraiza, director of UMCOR’s relief supplies. She estimates that hundreds of thousands of kits will be needed in the days and months ahead.
Calvary’s Missions Team has a box in the Narthex where contributions to the Health Kits may be made. Your contribution may be a complete Health Kit or any of the items listed above. If you wish to make a monetary contribution towards this effort, you may give your contribution to Flo or turn it into the Church office.
To learn more about what the United Methodist Church is doing to assist with the Haitian relief effort, please visit “Haiti the Church Responds“.